Friday, March 02, 2007

It really is the end of the world...

I just listened to a song on the radio...okay that really doesn't warrant my phrase, it is the end of the world...but just wait, there is more to this than just a song...

The song was by Blink 182 and featured Robert Smith?! Okay for those of you who weren't dark and moody as a teenager (or for those of you who weren't yet alive in the 80's), Robert Smith is the lead singer of The Cure. A great dark and moody band...a band that I have almost every single cassette and cd of, even most of the imports. They got me through my dark and moody teen years. The years when I was goth, wore fishnets, black nail polish and had multiple facial (and other body) piercings. Those good old times when I hung out in coffee shops, scaring the normal patrons with my dark moodiness. Yes those good old days. Days before pop punk bands like Blink 182 hit the radio waves with their whiny and repetitive, and very unoriginal songs.

So why in the hell is Robert Smith singing on their song?! WHY, WHY, WHY!? I don't get it...it doesn't make any sense. It would be like having Blondie sing a duet with Celine Dion! Seriously Debbie Harry would kick the crap out of that skinny Canadian!

I am off to find out more about this musical hypocrisy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you think that's crazy, check out 'Get Close' (a very strange interpretation of the Cure song 'close to me') by Plastic Little, here: http://www.myspace.com/plasticlittlerap

[Warning: not safe for office, little people]

Off the Curve said...

What's that band that makes you want to punch every single member in the face? Hang on a sec while I look it up...

Oh, yeah. Good Charlotte (or, as Chris Rock called them, Mediocre Green Day)

God, they suck.

C said...

anon -

that is a very strange interpretation, but kind of catchy!

thanks! :-)